Thursday, December 4, 2008

Tomorrow Better be Sunny

Today should have been a good day. But then I got fired. I (used to) tutor an Austrian man in English three days a week, but his company called me today and said they no longer wish to pay for this. Is it bad to hope this is a result of the weak economy? I'd rather assume that they're desperately trying to save pennies than think they were dissatisfied with my work. English is a hard language. It can't be learned in only a couple of months. Oh well. So now I find myself with free time in the evening and no spending money. I'm sure I can find enough projects to fill the time, and I'm trying not to feel sad about the money. It really doesn't affect our financial stability, but it was nice to be contributing something.
The other thing that was not fun about today was the WIC appointment Lizzy had. She was fine- happy, playing, smiling - until we walked into the room where they weigh and measure her. She threw one of her biggest tantrums yet. For some reason, nurses and doctors TERRIFY her. She clung to me, sobbing and screaming while I tried to get her clothes off and put her on the scale. It took a very long time, and we never did get an accurate reading, because she never stopped screaming and thrashing around. Once her clothes were back on, she was fine. Maybe she's just very shy.
And if her behavior wasn't bad enough, she fell off the chart as far as weight for length. She is basically tall, and very, very skinny. I'm not shocked by this (the child won't eat), but I can't help but feel a little bit like a failure. Why can't I get my child to eat? Anyway, tomorrow has to be better.

2 comments:

Melody said...

It can't be your ability to teach english. I know my english has improved just by hanging out with you. But you're right, it better be sunny tomorrow.

California Washburns said...

So, has the sun come out?

You are a wonderful mother, I'm sure! It seems to me that my kids will get a little chubby and then they'll have a growth spurt and be really tall and thin. Then they'll start getting a little chubby again getting ready for their next growth spurt. All kids are different as well. Josh finally made the growth charts for the first time last year!

Anyway...sorry to hear about your job. I think you're great! I'd hire you!